Adding the left side 1st floor required some work on the tabs and slots. In the last post I showed you how the slot near the door to the rear bedroom required extending about 1/2". All the tabs also needed a bit of sharpening up at the corners where they meet the floor, so that they would sit right into the slot.
Here you can see the 2 halves of the floor joined, glued and taped to hold them in place while the glue dried.
Before I left for yet another back treatment I played around a bit with the kitchen kit. Here is the photo that came with the kit, of the layout as it was designed.
I wanted to have a layout with the sink in the bay window so that I can put a small table and a couple of chairs in the open side of the room. Or maybe have the sink on the open side and put a table and chairs in the bay window.
I certainly feel that such a feature needs to be used to its fullest advantage. Can't you just imagine sitting in the window eating breakfast, or washing up and looking out at the garden from the window?
I dry fitted the bay window just to see the effect and to see how long I could cut the counter top for the sink unit.
The counter top was originally cut at an angle on one end, to fit with the stove module in a corner layout. I cut off part of the angled end and added it to the top of the angle to make it a square end. It still needs some trimming and sanding to even it up, and a bit of wood filler to smooth out the join so that it isn't visible.
To achieve the L-shape I need in the corner, I started by removing the left side of the tall unit. This left me with just the pantry and the fridge. The oven will now go under the cooktop on the stove module, which will take a bit of juggling.
For the top cupboards, which were too long to fit on the wall, I removed the wine rack and a cupboard with a plain door on the right side
This unit will now butt up against the pantry section of the tall unit. Which of course makes most of the shelves unusable (and they will be covered up) but there is no other option with this layout. I will make up a pantry unit to go in another part of the kitchen, probably in the corner where the bay window wall meets the front wall of the house.
I will experiment with a couple of tones of green, some cream and blue, sponging them on to see if I can get a finish something like the one on my own RL bench tops.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment: it means a lot to me. I really appreciate hearing what you think.