Thursday 1st February 2013
Quite a bit of progress today.
I finally feel that things are moving past the preparation stage –
yaaaaay! There was still a lot of
preparation: last night I painted the interior walls and ceilings with gesso,
today I sanded them off and gave them another coat. The walls that were interior walls I was then
able to sand off again and give two more coats of gesso. The ceilings then received their first coat
of white paint. It’s just ordinary flat
house paint like you’d use on walls. I
have a 1L tin of it and find it covers quite well. I really like to have a good white surface on
which to wallpaper – the white shows up the colours of the wallpaper better,
and having a good smooth surface means that the wallpaper has a better finish.
After some experimenting with different browns I’ve also decided on the
colour for the flooring of the house. I
want to have them quite dark and I’m using paint, not stain, in burnt umber. I did the ground floor tonight, and also the
stair treads ready to glue onto the staircase.
I painted the risers and the bannisters on the staircase in light
ivory.
For the interior I only have a couple of the wallpapers so far,
Kitchen: Robin Betterley ‘Green Leafy Tile’
Bedroom 1: Robin Betterley ‘Cottage Rose’
I do have more on order, including the paper I want to use for the hallways.
I’ve still not decided on the final colour scheme for the exterior. I am drawn towards browns but also towards greens……
I was thinking that the weatherboard could be in the lightest green (sage green
mixed with white) that is second from the bottom - it could actually be a bit darker than it is here.
The railings on the verandah in the darkest shade (dark forest green), 2nd down.
The window ledges in sage green, which is the bottom colour. And maybe the trim that's on some of the outside window pieces too.
The trim and little brackets in light ivory, which is the top colour but isn't as white as it looks here.
The roof shingles in burnt umber
What do you think? Does it need another contrast colour? Should the weatherboards (siding) be the
darker green and the railings a different colour?
Sunday 3rd February
2013
Floors done…...but have I made a mistake?
We had lunch at the nursing home with my mother again today. She booked the activities room and they set
up a nice table there for us and our meals were served there. We had the place to ourselves and spent
several hours there, having an enjoyable time. Then we had a birthday tea at home and some birthday cake. White mud cake - my favourite. Yum!
In the afternoon I varnished the floors. I’d painted the rest of them on Friday, then
sanded them off and given them a second coat on Saturday night. They aren’t perfectly even in colour but they’ll
be okay once walls are erected and furniture is in. You can see a glimpse of the tower floor in the photo below.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment: it means a lot to me. I really appreciate hearing what you think.