The Fairfield – Construction day 4
Today I tried out the palm sander and was quite pleased with the result. But bending over the saw horses soon became painful - not a good height at all! Pater came to the rescue and decided to help out with his orbital sander, and the difference was quite impressive, so he went over all the pieces. They are so much better now. But I did go over them again with a very fine sandpaper by hand and that made even more difference. A good wipe over with a damp cloth, then I left them to dry thoroughly.
Tonight Peter again worked, so it was another late night for me. I have difficulty settling when he is not around to nag me to stop what I am doing and go to bed :-) . Especially when I am doing something that really interests me. So I kept working until my eyes were so blurry I couldn't focus on what I was trying to do. Naughty I know.
I added the pieces of foundation to the underside of the base piece. There are heaps of small pieces here, and I think I'll follow Sharon's lead . She put strips of timber around all four sides, ignoring the ins and outs of the shape. I think I'll put timber around inside the edge as well, to reinforce it but still use the foundation provided.
Then I went around all the edges of the windows and doors and the main edges that will show when the house is constructed, and filled the edge of the timber with wood filler. This is time consuming again, but without rather painstaking preparation it is impossible to get a really good quality on these Greenleaf kits - the timber is not good by any means. The funny thing is that the wood has a 'good' side and a 'not very good' side. And the good side goes to the outside, which will be covered, no matter what finish you put on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment: it means a lot to me. I really appreciate hearing what you think.