I've nicknamed the house 'Kermit' because it is oh so green at the moment! To soothe my concerns I painted a pile of the corner trim pieces in the Delta Light Ivory that I'm using for the trim and tried them against the house and it relieves it a lot. And of course there'll be the window and door trims in the same colour, as well as the porch trim.
In the photo below you might be able to see that I've installed the interior frame for the front door.
| Front view |
| Side view showing the kitchen bay window and the tower |
First I cut the cornice and skirting board pieces, using the slots through which the tower would go as a guide. Then I slid the tower into place and glued it, then adjusted the skirting board until it fitted well and glued it in place. You can just see it through the doorway in the photo below.
I also installed a light in the foyer but removed it because there was a bit of a disaster with the wallpaper when I was putting it through the slot even though it was really careful. Now I'm going to have to fix it up or re-paper the wall. I left the exterior wall of the tower without cladding so I could take the wire of the light down behind it yesterday but guess what? Tonight I forgot and went ahead and put the cladding over it anyway :)
I've only put cladding on the tower as far as the first floor, because I've run out of cladding. I've ordered more but before I clad the second floor of the tower I want to think about some changes I might be making to the second floor and I can't decide definitely about those until I fit the floor and the roof.
Peter has also been working on and off to reinforce underneath the ground floor/foundation of the house for me. Here's a view of the underneath now.
He was unable to get the correct depth of stripwood in pine so bought some lovely Tasmanian Oak! It's ironic that the best quality timber in the whole building is where it won't even be seen by most people. The house feels heaps more stable now that he's done this, and I'm happier about it taking pressure.
Now when the glue has dried thoroughly on the latest bits of cladding I will give it a couple more coats of paint. I painted a sample piece of cladding with 3 coats and Peter took it today to Bunnings, a chain of huge hardware stores here in Australia. One of the people in the paint department colour-matched the sample by computer to make up a small quarter litre tin of paint for me. He said he had trouble matching it exactly because of the ridges in the cladding but when I painted a bit on the cladding piece it was an exact match. I'm really pleased with it. Being a house paint with a satin finish it has more depth than a craft paint and it does look really nice on the wall I tried it out on as well. Of course it all needs painting properly yet.
I'm looking forward now to getting the window trims on and seeing the effect of those in place but first I need to finish the wallpapering. I can do the main bedroom but I'm waiting for wallpaper for the other bedroom on the first floor and for the dining room. And I'm having trouble finding the carpet I want to put through the house. I might have to settle for cream, which isn't very practical for a family with four children!
There aren't very many comments coming in so I'm guessing that you all hate the green. I hope you like it better as the other elements are added.
I don't mind the green. I think it will be lovely with the accent colors. :]
ReplyDeleteThanks Otterine, that's reassuring :) I surely hope it will be.
DeleteIt is a lot of green, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it'll give visual cohesion to the project, and I'm sure that the other accent colours will give some 'relief', so to speak, and I mean that in a good way!
ReplyDeleteAs for the Tasmanian oak, think of it as a fine undergarment, necessary for overall stability but seldom seen :)
What a lovely analogy Norma :) A fine undergarment it certainly is. And you're right, the other elements will give relief to the green. I've just been looking at all the 'green-ness' for too long lol. You know, green certainly isn't my favourite colour by a long way but I sure seem to use it a lot in my miniatures. I wonder why that is?
DeleteIt's funny that you should say that about green sneaking into your miniatures. I've been thinking the same thing! I'm not a great fan of green as a decor colour myself but it's turning up all over the place in my French build!!
DeleteNorma I think green complements so many colours, and that's why it tends to crop up in other builds. I know in shabby chic settings it goes naturally with those soft, pretty colours that we love so much, and of course it goes well with anything floral....I guess that's natural. I chose it for the exterior because I'm running out of colours that are quite dramatic without being overpowering for the exteriors of my houses.
DeleteYou're right about the complementary aspect of greens, and in my French setting it sits so well with the soft pinks, creams and French grey.
DeleteI'm looking forward to seeing a post and photos of your latest progress on the French build. I had a quick look over the previous posts about it and admired again the kitchen and entry, and am wondering what you've added since then :)
DeleteI love green, it's natures colour for all her backdrops..once you get your trims on and lots of lovely Soft coloured flowers it will look adorable..I may come live there..lol.. Val in Oz xx
ReplyDeleteThat's true Val, it is nature's colour. Perhaps that's why it goes with anything. So just shrink yourself down and move right on in :)
Deletehahaha my daughter said i'm getting short and round so I may not fit through the door... maybe a tent in the garden..lol...
DeleteI'll think about setting one up for you :)
DeleteI think it will look really cure with some flowers and things growing nearby too. Maybe you could add a trellis with some cute flowers on one wall later. I'm looking forward to seeing the trim on.
ReplyDeletexo Amy
Thanks Amy. I think it will look cute too - I'm madly painting trim right now for the edges, and doing more coats on the outside. Hoping to get the trim on soon!
DeleteI'm just catching up, but as our real house is green and our newly painted bathroom as well, I can only say I LOVE your green! :D
ReplyDeleteIt's great to receive such a positive comment about it Christine - I must say that as I've added the other bits of trim and the bay window treatment to it, the green looks even better ;)
Delete