| 1st floor hallway side wall |
The fireplace interiors are done with a grey wash for the grouting, then dabbed with a brown mixture for the bricks and finally 'dirtied up' with some black from the 'soot'. Grace Shaw of Virtual Dollhouse has been her usual wonderful, helpful self and sourced some fireplace surrounds for me. I wasn't happy with just the openings as they are and the mantlepiece looks cumbersome if I put both the support and the top pieces together as they are supposed to be. I could have just used a simple frame around the openings I guess, and the top piece of the mantlepiece, but these are really nice. I saw them on Emily Morganit's Fairfield site that I mentioned before, which can be found here .
The lights I ordered from Molly's House Miniatures have arrived. The three-globe ones are for the living and dining rooms; the standard lamp is also for the living room (probably); there are 2 of the wall sconces: one for the entry and one for the first floor hallway; and 4 ceiling lights, two for the 1st floor bedrooms, one for the kitchen and one for the bathroom. I have them stacked on each other in the photo below to make it easier to fit them all in.
I've also been thinking a lot about the cladding on the exterior. I had forgotten to trace around the front right wall before I glued it on, so I removed it and traced around it and the kitchen bay window on to the cladding pieces. I got both of them out of one piece of cladding, which was good. I've started gluing the cladding to the exterior, but I'm taking it slowly, filling in bits of time when I'm waiting for things to dry or whatever. One advantage of doing it this way is that I can clamp each piece down and make sure that it doesn't warp or move while it is drying. Probably too cautious but I don't want to take too much time at the moment to just concentrate on the cladding. Here's the right front done. It needs to have the slots filled in (I should have realized that they don't need to be cut out at all), and it needs another coat of paint but I'll give it all a couple of finishing coats at the end.
I've managed to get glue from the staircase onto bits of the wallpaper in the living room and other bits - it must have been on my fingers. So I'm not happy at all. That's the end of the wallpapering for now, I've decided - if I can wallpaper quarter scale once it's constructed then I can surely do half inch scale!! Except for the tower of course, that had to be done before I can put it in because it won't be accessible once it's in.
So now it's back to finishing off the foyer so the tower can go in.
Sounds like the gremlins were after you as you were wallpapering. Don't let them get you down! :D Perseverance pays! At least, that's what I tell *myself*, so I pass it on to you.
ReplyDeleteYou are right - the gremlins were working overtime lol! I must admit they did get me down for a while but I feel better now. Thank you for your encouragement - I will perservere, this house will be finished and all the fiddly bits will pay off in a nicer finish.
DeleteOh gosh I remember working on miniatures ~ it's SO much fun! Looks like it's coming along quite nicely despite the glue issue and that fireplace is perfection!
ReplyDelete♥Sharon
Thanks Sharon, I appreciate your comment. I'm pleased with the fireplaces, and they will look good with the fronts in place and the lit grates connected. The glue issue still bugs me and I have the bay window wall still to do so it just might be re-papered yet.....Hugs, Sandra
DeleteYou certainly are making progress, pity about the little glitch :( I've done the same sort of thing more times than I'm prepared to confess!!
ReplyDeleteI've had a week's good progress too! Hopefully I'll pick up the newly spray-painted fridge tomorrow and then I can take photos of the completed kitchen, and the almost done dining room. I'm beginning to feel that I just might really make it in time for the fair!
Wow Norma, what great progress you have made, to have two rooms done/almost done. Perhaps we can both have our projects ready for the fair after all - I'm beginning to feel that I might be close to turning the corner too. I have a lot to show in the next post. ♥ Hugs, Sandie
ReplyDeleteyou have sooo much patience.. wish I had half of of it.. you have done well to stick to doing one house ..I know you have so many on the go and others you havent even taken out of their boxes I was in heaven when I came to your place for my mini-ing holiday..it was one week of mini heaven ... I have 10 acres i'm sure if you come over we can find some lovely shade to mini..lol... Val in south oz xxxx
ReplyDeleteWe'll have fun doing just that when I come over after May Val, I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for looking and commenting - there's not much patience in evidence at the moment, I can assure you :) ♥ Hugs, Sandie
DeleteHello My Friend, so sorry for my silence. I am glad to see your Fairfield. I have one also. I have not started mine. I must get the Lily done first. So now I know you can help me with mine. I will have a wonderful teacher. Now I will go and in the morning will start the long overdue email. Friendship kisses. Alisa
ReplyDeleteOh Alisa, so GOOD to hear from you!!!! How nice that you have the Fairfield too, as well. I will look forward to that email. Love and hugs.
Delete