Well, no comments at all about the verandah or the shingling on the bay window roof - hope that doesn't mean everyone hates the verandah tiling!
The shingling is now done on both the bay windows and their roofs, and on the verandah. It looks so nice in its natural colour.
Here's the kitchen bay and the side verandah
And here is the front bay and the front verandah
The colour also goes really well with the colouring on the verandah tiles. I had been thinking about staining or painting the shingles brown (which will also go well with the foundation and the verandah). Now I am wondering. Will I colour the shingles? And If so, what colour will I do them?
I've adjusted the posts on each end of the verandah trim to accommodate the extra space taken up by the cladding on the house. Otherwise the posts and railings wouldn't fit on the verandah at all. Here they are just sitting in place - I don't want to glue them in yet until I have the light in place permanently and the trim and everything finished in that area, so I can access it easily.
Usually I don't shingle until the very last thing, because the shingles are too easily damaged as you move the house around to wallpaper so I hope I don't regret doing the windows now! I really wanted to get an idea of what they would look like and it has certainly inspired me to get a move on with the rest of the house now. I tend to get a bit stale when I've been doing one project for a while, and usually move on to something else. This time I'm not going to start a new project so needed something to renew the energy.
So what do you think? Colour nor not colour? And if I colour, then what colour? Not the off-white, I plan to do that look on another house. Some shade of brown? Or leave natural?
This blog to document the progress of constructing my Fairfield, a halfscale kit from Greenleaf. I will be showing my progress as I construct, decorate and furnish this charming cottage, which has enchanted me ever since I first saw it way back when I first started miniatures. I hope you enjoy sharing my adventure with me. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy. Please share your reactions, thoughts and suggestions - I love receiving feedback from my online friends!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
....and everything has come to a standstill. Yes, the last of the lights arrived yesterday (Thursday); the bathroom fittings also arrived y...
-
I was able to get on with wallpapering the other day. I have carried the Brodnax HFL 131 through the ground floor hallway, the entrance, ...
-
I've nicknamed the house 'Kermit' because it is oh so green at the moment! To soothe my concerns I painted a pile of the corne...
Hmm...I think the shingles on the porch roof and bay roofs should match the main roof when you get to it.
ReplyDeleteFor the wall shingles, I could see them being painted green to match the house. You'd still have the visual texture to distinguish them. :]
Yes, the bay window roofs will definitely be the same colour/treatment as the main roof. I hadn't thought about doing the shingles on the walls in green - thanks for the suggestion.
DeleteAlso, you could try out the lighter ivory you were thinking first and if it doesn't look right, you can paint over with green. :D
ReplyDeleteI don't want to do them in ivory if I can help it because on my second Fairfield I'll probably be doing just that. I have plans for a very fancy transformation of that second one.
Delete