The other day I made a list of the little fiddly things I need to do before I can really go on with the next stage. Then I made a list of what needs to be done on the inside after I do those fiddly little things and before I go on with the next stage. It took up a whole A4 page! So what did I do? For three days I did - absolutely none of those fiddly little things :-o I painted another coat on the trim, I sat and looked at the house and thought. I dry fitted the second floor and it split open the join between the front wall and the side wall in the process so I sanded the edges until it now fits better.
And then last night, after 2 nights of only 4 hours' sleep - no, not because of the Fairfield :) and a day when I was so tired I couldn't be bothered doing anything, I got my second wind and tackled, not any of those important things, but shingling the lower part of the bay window instead! Typical of how tired I was, I thought I was doing the kitchen bay, which would not be so obvious if I made mistakes (which of course I did since I was experimenting) but this morning I see that it is blatently obvious that in fact I did the front bay.
I have since replaced that narrow wood trim at the top with one single piece. It looks much better without a join in the wood.
The fact that it is narrower at the top than the bottom wasn't by design. It happened because I clamped the narrow wood corner trim at the top to make it join evenly with the light ivory trim. The result was this shape. I really like it. At first I had the painted corner trim all the way down but I prefer the wooden trim. It doesn't overpower the shingles like the wider painted one does.
The plan was that I would paint the shingles in the light ivory to match the rest of the trim but I like the wood. I think I'll leave the decision about the colour until I've shingled the rest of the house and decide then. I wish I had one of those programs where you can put your own house into the computer and try out the effect of different colour schemes - wouldn't that be great for our dollhouses?
I was so pleased with the effect of the trim on the door and on the sides of the bay window I thought that I'd put some more on, just temporarily, to get a feel of the effect and perhaps gain some more inspiration. Here is what it looked like:
As you can see, nothing is fixed permanently. And I haven't cut the corner trims on the sides of the house so they are sticking up like some sort of weird aerials. You probably can't see them but I've put the front and kitchen doors together. I really like the design on the front door window, but I wish I had cut the plastic and separated the pieces so that the lines are centred nicely in the open panels of the door.
I've done the window sills in a much darker green but they don't look a lot darker now - you can see them if you click on the picture to enlarge it.
So now I feel much more enthusiastic again and hope to get lots of sleep over the weekend so I can tackle those pesky fiddly details with renewed determination on Sunday.
This blog to document the progress of constructing my Fairfield, a halfscale kit from Greenleaf. I will be showing my progress as I construct, decorate and furnish this charming cottage, which has enchanted me ever since I first saw it way back when I first started miniatures. I hope you enjoy sharing my adventure with me. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy. Please share your reactions, thoughts and suggestions - I love receiving feedback from my online friends!
Friday, March 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
....and everything has come to a standstill. Yes, the last of the lights arrived yesterday (Thursday); the bathroom fittings also arrived y...
-
I was able to get on with wallpapering the other day. I have carried the Brodnax HFL 131 through the ground floor hallway, the entrance, ...
-
I've nicknamed the house 'Kermit' because it is oh so green at the moment! To soothe my concerns I painted a pile of the corne...
Your making great progress on the house! it's always such fun to see the creative ideas that you come up with.
ReplyDeleteJenn
Thanks Jennifer! I always deeply appreciate comments and yours is such a nice one :) Thank you also for the link to the sale on eBay - I'll check it out. I am slowly gathering half scale 'bits' for the house (and other kits I have waiting on the sidelines) but things I really like are harder to find in this scale.
Deleteseller on ebay is having a sale,
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ebay.ca/itm/Miniature-dollhouse-1-24-scale-1-2-lounge-chesterfield-sofa-Bespaq-/151005257167?pt=AU_Houses_Miniatures&hash=item23289d5dcf
hope this link works.
lol
Jenn
I wouldn't DARE make a list of things to be done in the mini world, I think it'd scare me into some sort of turpor ;)
ReplyDeleteI think you're right to leave the decision of the roof colour until later.
A computer design program would be handy, but I think the trial (and error!) of the real thing is more fun :)
Yes Norma, I think that's what it did to me too - and that list was just for what needed to be done on this one house and at this level :) Won't do that again in a hurry! And the only thing about trial and error is that sometimes the 'error' part can be impossible to fix - but since I don't have that computer program, I get to have the fun and take the risk vbg.
Delete