This blog to document the progress of constructing my Fairfield, a halfscale kit from Greenleaf. I will be showing my progress as I construct, decorate and furnish this charming cottage, which has enchanted me ever since I first saw it way back when I first started miniatures. I hope you enjoy sharing my adventure with me. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy. Please share your reactions, thoughts and suggestions - I love receiving feedback from my online friends!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Some bits for the bathroom

I'ts fun to add some little bits that bring those empty rooms to life, isn't it?  I have thought long and hard about how to store things in the bathroom and couldn't find anything much on the internet.  I searched through my odds and ends and came up with some balsa wood and some 18ct Aida cloth.  I fiddled around and made this little shelf unit that fits beside the handbasin.  It's made from the balsa wood, covered with the aida cloth and trimmed with strands of thread from the aida cloth plaited together.  Then the whole thing is painted with Regency White paint, to match the trims.  I made little toilet rolls from strips cut from Kleenex tissues, and put those on the bottom shelf, then cut towels from some baby wash cloths to fill the top two shelves.  I also cut a couple of towels, hand towels and a mat from the blue wash cloth but don't have anything to hang the towels from yet.  I'll need to search through my jewellery findings to see if I have something suitable to use to make towel racks and rings from.  At the moment I just have them draped over the bath and handbasin.

I'm not sure whether the baby wash cloths are too out-of-scale for this house.  What do you think?

Side view of shelves
Showing contents of shelves
I won't be leaving the shelves in this position, blocking the handbasin.  They'll sit on the other side, but I do think they are a necessary item in the bathroom.  Actually when it is on the other side of the hand basin you won't see the toilet rolls very well, which is a shame after all the work I put into them - I'll probably have to make some more of them :)

Now I need a wall unit of some kind, or something to hold toothbrushes, deodorant, bandaids etc.  And a little shelf near the bath for soap and bottles.

I've also made some shelves for the pantry; just waiting now for some items I've ordered to arrive, plus I have some printies to make up.  I already have some cans to put in but want to wait and put things in once I have more items.

And I've made some books for the book shelves - photos of those will come later.

Please do tell me what you think about the towels.  The ones in the shelves won't be too visible once they are put on the other side of the hand basin but the others will be.

4 comments:

  1. The bathroom is really taking shape. It's a challenge to make towels etc from "small" fabrics.
    I have found that narrow bandage works well too. I think it's a bit stretchy and just the right width as well. Keep up the good work as they say!
    Blessings, Vicki.
    P.S. Hope the cold has gone now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that suggestion Vicki, its great to get feedback. I will get a bandage and die it a couple of nice colours to use. I think that will be good. The infection turned into quite a good dose of bronchitis but I'm starting to improve now.

      Delete
  2. Quizás ahora se ven mucho porque es lo único que hay, pero cuando añadas mas complementos no se notarán tanto. Creo que hay que ir viendo poco a poco como encajan las cosas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could be right Isabel. I'll see how it looks once I add more jars and such. It's not as though you see much of the towels in the shelves anyway, but I will try the bandages as well I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment: it means a lot to me. I really appreciate hearing what you think.

Popular Posts