This blog to document the progress of constructing my Fairfield, a halfscale kit from Greenleaf. I will be showing my progress as I construct, decorate and furnish this charming cottage, which has enchanted me ever since I first saw it way back when I first started miniatures. I hope you enjoy sharing my adventure with me. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy. Please share your reactions, thoughts and suggestions - I love receiving feedback from my online friends!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Boring stuff but hopefully beneficial!


Tuesday, 22nd January 2013.

I am preparing nearly 50 swap items for my half scale group (making a few spares just in case) so there’s not much time to spend on the Fairfield at the moment.  But tonight I did some more preparation of some of the timber.  The plywood has a ‘good’ side and a ‘rough’ side, and unfortunately the ‘good’ side faces outside – the side that will be covered up with whatever finish people put on it, whether it be stucco or (as in my case) cladding.  Also, the floor surface is the ‘good’ side, which means that the ceilings are actually the rougher side.  Since I have ordered scribed flooring to go over the floors, it is a shame that it is this way but I didn’t want to reverse the pieces and thus make the house mirror reverse.  So I realized that I would need to do a lot of preparation of the ceilings, especially since I want to light the house and imperfections will show up a lot.

So I went over the interior of the walls and the underside of the floors (ie the ceilings) with wood filler mixed with water to make a kind of thick slurry.  I smoothed this on with a palette knife, then went over it with a wet finger to work it into the grain of the wood and smooth it out even more.  I don’t want too much to sand off later! 

I still had some wood filler mixed with water left over so I then went on to do the surface of the door frames.  And there was still some more so I sanded and prepared the front and kitchen doors and did them with the wood filler too.

There’s nothing really worth photographing, it’s all rather boring really but hopefully it will be beneficial and fill the grain a bit more, making the surface smoother and contributing toward a nice finish.  Perfectionist, I hear you say?  Who, me?  Whatever makes you think that? J  I am trying to keep it under control, I promise you!  Sometimes I even succeed, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment: it means a lot to me. I really appreciate hearing what you think.

Popular Posts