This blog to document the progress of constructing my Fairfield, a halfscale kit from Greenleaf. I will be showing my progress as I construct, decorate and furnish this charming cottage, which has enchanted me ever since I first saw it way back when I first started miniatures. I hope you enjoy sharing my adventure with me. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of your favourite beverage, and enjoy. Please share your reactions, thoughts and suggestions - I love receiving feedback from my online friends!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sanding again and another dry run!

Thursday, 3rd  January 2013


The Fairfield – Construction day 5
The wood filler was all dry of course so mainly today I sanded it all, which wasn’t a huge job.  Then I re-assembled the house in another dry run.  I am making swaps for my half scale group (we have to make 40-odd, and I am making 50 so that I have a few spares) so I am trying to get a prototype organized and I'm not spending a great deal of time on the Fairfield at the moment.  But I did want to get this dry run done to fix the layout of the house more clearly in my mind.

Here are the steps for this dry run.  It is just the basic shell, no trim, bay windows or roof at this stage:


Photo 1

Central and right front walls

Photo  2:
Sliding the chimney through hole in right floor


Photo 3.   
Wall beside chimney




Photo 4 
Chimney in place
Photo 5  
View of chimney and fireplaces both floors (note side wall against central wall)

Photo 6
 Rear wall is now added to right side.
Photo 7
Staircase in place on ground floor (at this stage staircase assembly was only taped together)


Photo 8 
Side view of staircase


Photo 9  
Sliding dividing wall into place in left side floor

Photo 10 
View of 1st floor left side from above
Photo 11 
First floor left side

Photo 12 
Ground floor view showing dividing wall against staircase, kitchen door on left, ground floor ceiling/first floor in place.


Photo 13 
Staircase again
Photo 14
 Rear of staircase (without the angled piece joining it to the 1st floor)

Photo 15  
Tower in place
Photo 16 
Looking into the tower

Photo 17
 Looking into rear of tower, 1st floor


Photo 18 
Bathroom wall in place,; view of tower and hallway 1st floor.




Photo 19
 Bathroom - 1st floor, rear

Photo 20 
Second floor/1st floor ceiling added (note that I had forgotten to add the side pieces to the chimney assembly at this stage)

 
Photo 21 
Right side view


Photo 22  
Tower interior


Photo 23 
Rear view, showing bathroom on 1st floor and kitchen on ground floor
Photo 24
 Rear view 2
Photo 25 
Rear view showing small partial walls on each side of rear opening
Photo 26 
Left side view showing kitchen bay window and porch on ground floor, bathroom and tower windows on 1st floor and attic window plus upper tower window.
Photo 27
Right side 2 (note that the right side chimney piece is added in this photo).



Photo 28 
Right side showing fireplaces at front

Photo 29 
Right side showing fireplaces at rear

This has given me a much better idea of how it all goes together than the first one did.  Probably because I am now more familiar with the pieces and also because the chimney is mostly assembled (still had to add the upper left and right sides when I took these photos) and the stairs partly so (won't put the treads on until I've stained them and painted the rest of the assembly).  Though when I went looking for them, I found that when Peter moved all the timber sheets from the lounge onto the square folding table I am using as a work table in the lounge room, he placed them square on top of the stair construction and they are squashed flat!  Not happy at all! :( No matter how many times I ask/tell/plead with him not to put anything on my work areas, they are a flat surface and flat surfaces need to have things put on them.  Men!  

The wooden sheets still have lots of things in them so are still quite heavy.  I will put them away tomorrow in the caravan, because I won’t have time to do any more on the house for a while now.  When I do take the things like window and door trims, brackets etc out of the sheets, I need to put them straight into clip-lock bags according to where they go, so I don’t get them confused or lost.  I will keep them separate if they are different – for example, I noticed that there are two different types of brackets.  And being me, I know that if I don’t do this, things will go walkabout all by themselves and I will never see them again.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I have so much to read and see on your blog!! Looks exciting! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you found my Fairfield blog - hope you enjoy catching up! Hugs Sandie

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment: it means a lot to me. I really appreciate hearing what you think.

Popular Posts